ORED Internal Funding
Small Grant Program (SGP)
The Research Grants Committee (RGC) reviews proposals for research grants each year from UA full-time tenured, tenured track, clinical and clinical track faculty to receive funding from the Office for Research and Economic Development (ORED). The due date for FY 2020 ORED Small Grant Program (SGP) proposals is Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:00 pm.
Proposals submitted on or before Wednesday, September 4 will be reviewed for adherence to SGP formatting guidelines and required proposal components. Faculty with proposals that are non-compliant will be informed by the Office for Research Development they may update their proposal. Updates must be completed by the program due date and time.
The Office for Research and Economic Development (ORED) will fund a maximum of $6,000 per project for applications submitted to the ORED SGP, previously known as the RGC Level 1 Program. The previous Level 2 – Collaborative Project is now a separate program and under re-evaluation. The Level 3 – Equipment Program is no longer part of the ORED Internal Funding Programs. Faculty interested in internal funding for equipment should work with their ADR to submit a formal request.
Only one proposal, as PI or co-PI, will be considered per investigator during any proposal submission period. An individual can have support for only one ORED SGP or RGC project at a time (whether it is a single or joint application). Former ORED Small Grant recipients are ineligible to receive new Small Grant Program funding for 12 months (one year) following the end of the previous award period for the same level of funding. For example, previous ORED SGP or RGC recipients must wait 12 months from the end date of their project to apply for Small Grant Program funding. The 12-month hiatus does not apply to other ORED internal funding programs that are for larger awards. The 12-month period begins at the end of the project period and includes ORED approved extensions if applicable.
ORED SGP Funding Areas:
Area A- Physical and Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
Area B- Social and Behavioral Sciences
Area C- Arts and Humanities
Details of the procedures, priorities and restrictions used by the Research Grants Committee in awarding research funds are detailed in the 2020 Small Grant Program (SGP) Application Manual available on this site.
For more information, please contact Charlotte Nix at 348-7079, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FY 2020 Information:
- Initial or Seed funding for Research/Scholarship/Creative Scholarship Grant for UA faculty.
- Designed for projects that are new research programs, scholarly initiatives, or creative scholarship.
Two years: January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021
|Proposal Funding Range
The ORED will fund a maximum of $6,000. Cost Share match is not allowed in this program.
Limited to 1 PI and 1 co-PI**
The application must describe how the award will (either):
- Further the research/scholarship mission of The University of Alabama and the faculty member, and/or
- Result in additional extramural support.
- The funded projects will produce at least one (1) of the following outcomes: submission to an external agency or foundation, publication, exhibition, performance, or a conference presentation.
- A poster presentation at Faculty Research Day in the final year of funding.
- A final report is due 90 days after the end of the award period.
** Additional faculty may be named as investigators or collaborators (without a leadership role in the project).
FY 2020 Required Information
- Area of Application: Area A, Area B, or Area C. The submission Area must be indicated in the title of the proposal to ensure the proposal will be considered. The project title entered into the Cayuse system must begin with “OREDSGP2020AreaX: project title”.
- Example: “OREDSGP2020AreaA: project title”
- Allocation of Credit: The PI and co-PI determine how the shared credit for the proposal will be divided and reflected in internal reports (FAR, Digital Measures). Allocation of Credit distribution is used to determine the amount of the total award credited to each faculty member. Allocation of Credit must equal 100%.
- Documents must be uploaded as a single pdf and with the title formatted as: PIlastPIfirst2020AreaX.
- Example: JonesBob2020AreaA.
- Proposal narrative with abstract (5-page limit) and references cited (unlimited pages), including applicant remarks to previous reviews if applicable (additional 1 page).
- Budget (2-page limit).
- Budget justification (2-page limit).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) for the PI and co-PI (2-page limit per CV).
- Current and Pending Support (C&P) for the PI and co-PI
- Internal Funding Support History for the PI and co-PI
Proposal Submission Process: Cayuse
Cayuse is a web-based system for submission of applications to external funding agencies. Cayuse SP is designed to allow the electronic creation, tracking, and management of proposals and awards along with other aspects of research operations. Proposals for internal funding are now submitted via the Cayuse SP system.
Faculty who have not submitted an internal or external grant at UA before are encouraged to obtain access to Cayuse early in the proposal submission process. Contact Jennifer Mills in the Office for Sponsored Programs by email or at 348-7163 with your myBama ID. Your myBama login is required to create a Cayuse account.
The Cayuse SP sites directs applicants to contact their OSP Grant Specialist. However, faculty should contact Charlotte Nix or Angie Shotts with questions related to their SGP proposal and entering it into the Cayuse system.
Click here to access the Cayuse site and submit your proposal.