ORED Internal Funding
Small Grant Program
The Research Grants Committee (RGC) reviews proposals for research grants each year from full-time tenured, tenured track, clinical and clinical track UA faculty to receive funding from the Office for Research and Economic Development (ORED). Proposals for FY 2019 were due September 21, 2018 with a start date of January 1, 2019. The due date for FY 2020 is expected in August or September 2019 and will be announced on the ResearchNews listserv.
The Office for Research and Economic Development (ORED) will fund a maximum of $6,000 per project for applications submitted to the Small Grant Program, previously known as the RGC Level 1 Program. The previously existing Level 2 – Collaborative Project is now a separate program that is being currently re-evaluated. The Level 3 – Equipment Program is no longer part of the ORED Internal Funding Programs. Faculty interested in internal funding for equipment should work with their ADR to submit a formal request.
Only one proposal, as PI or co-PI, will be considered for funding per investigator during any proposal submission period. An individual can have support for only one ORED Internal Funding project at a time (whether it is a single or joint application). Former RGC grant recipients are ineligible to receive new ORED funding for 12 months (1 year) following the end of a project for the same or lower funding. The 12-month period begins at the end of the project period and includes extensions.
RGC Funding Areas:
Area A- Physical and Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
Area B- Social and Behavioral Sciences
Area C- Arts and Humanities
Details of the procedures, priorities and restrictions used by the Research Grants Committee in awarding research funds are detailed in the Small Grant Program Application Manual available on this site.
For more information, please contact Charlotte Nix at 348-7079, email@example.com.
FY 2019 Information:
- Initial or Seed funding for Research/Scholarship/Creative Scholarship Grant for UA faculty.
- Designed for projects that are new research programs, scholarly initiatives, or creative scholarship.
2 years: January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2020
|Proposal Funding Range
The ORED will fund a maximum of $6,000. Cost Share match is not allowed in this program.
Limited to 1 PI and 1 co-PI**
The application must describe how the award will (either):
- Further the research/scholarship mission of The University of Alabama and the faculty member, and/or
- Result in additional extramural support.
- The funded projects will produce at least one of the following outcomes: submission to an external agency or foundation, publication, exhibition, performance, or a conference presentation.
- A poster presentation at Faculty Research Day.
- A final report is due 90 days after the end of the award period.
** Additional faculty may be named as investigators or collaborators (without a leadership role in the project).
Applications will be submitted via the Cayuse Research Suite. The link to Cayuse, Small Grant Program budget templates, and additional resources are available on this site. Applicants will sign into Cayuse with their myBama credentials.
FY 2019 Required Information
- Area of Application: Area A, Area B, or Area C. The submission Area must be indicated in the title of the proposal to ensure the proposal will be considered. The project title entered into the Cayuse system must begin with “RGC Small Grant 2019 Area X:”.
- Example: “RGC Small Grant 2019 Area A: project title”
- Allocation of Credit: The PI and co-PIs determine how the shared credit for the proposal will be divided and reflected in internal reports (FAR, Digital Measures). Allocation of Credit distribution is used to determine the amount of the total award that is credited to each faculty member. Allocation of Credit must equal 100%.
- Documents must be uploaded as a single pdf and with the title formatted as: PIlastPIfirst2019AreaX.
- Example: JonesBob2019AreaA.
- Proposal Narrative including the abstract (5-page limit) and References Cited (no page limit). When applicable, the one (1) page response to previous reviewer comments is included as the first page of this section.
- RGC Small Grant Program Budget (2-page limit).
- Budget Justification document (2-page limit).
- Curriculum Vitae document(s) for PI and co-PI(s) (2-page limit per CV).
- Current and Pending document(s) for PI and co-PI(s) (no page limit).
Click here to print the Cayuse Instructions for ORED Internal Funding Programs handout.
Click here to access the Cayuse site and submit your proposal.