ORED Internal Funding
Small Grant Program
The Research Grants Committee, through the Office for Research and Economic Development (ORED), accepts proposals for research grants each year from full-time tenured, tenured track, clinical and clinical track UA faculty. Proposals are due by 1:00 p.m. Friday September 21, 2018 for FY 2019 funding. The start date for FY 2019 awards is January 1, 2019.
The Office for Research and Economic Development will fund a maximum of $6,000 per project for this program. Other ORED internal funding programs, formally known as RGC Level 2-Collaborative Projects and RGC Level 3-Equipment Grants, are now separate programs. These programs are currently being re-evaluated and re-designed. Information on these programs will be announced in late fall 2018.
Only one proposal, as PI or co-PI, will be considered for funding per investigator during any proposal submission period.
An individual can have support for only one ORED Internal Funding project at a time (whether it is a single or joint application). Former RGC grant recipients are ineligible to receive new ORED funding for 12 months (1 year) following the end of a project for the same or lower funding. The 12-month period begins at the end of the project period and includes extensions.
Area A- Physical and Biological Sciences, Mathematics, and Engineering
Area B- Social and Behavioral Sciences
Area C- Arts and Humanities
Details of the procedures, priorities and restrictions used by the Research Grants Committee in awarding research funds are detailed in the Small Grant Program Application Manual available on this site.
For more information, please contact Angie Shotts at 348-8070, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshops for interested applicants will be offered in August and September 2018. Dates and times for the workshops will be available soon.
- Initial or Seed funding for Research/Scholarship/Creative Scholarship Grant for UA faculty.
- Designed for projects that are new research programs, scholarly initiatives, or creative scholarship.
2 years: January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2021
|Proposal Funding Range
The ORED will fund a maximum of $6,000. Cost Share match is not allowed in this program.
Limited to 1 PI and 1 co-PI**
The application must describe how the award will (either):
- Further the research/scholarship mission of The University of Alabama and the faculty member, and/or
- Result in additional extramural support.
- The funded projects will produce at least one of the following outcomes: submission to an external agency or foundation, publication, exhibition, performance, or a conference presentation.
- A poster presentation at Faculty Research Day.
- A final report is due 90 days after the end of the award period.
** Additional faculty may be named as investigators or collaborators (without a leadership role in the project).
Applications will be submitted via the Cayuse Research Suite. The link to Cayuse, Small Grant Program budget templates, and additional resources are available on this site. Applicants will sign into Cayuse with their myBama credits.
- Area of Application: Area A, Area B, or Area C. The submission Area must be indicated in the title of the proposal to ensure the proposal will be considered. The project title entered into the Cayuse system must begin with “RGC Small Grant 2019 Area X:”.
- Example: “RGC Small Grant 2019 Area A: project title”
- Allocation of Credit: The PI and co-PIs determine how the shared credit for the proposal will be divided and reflected in internal reports (FAR, Digital Measures). Allocation of Credit distribution is used to determine the amount of the total award that is credited to each faculty member. Allocation of Credit must equal 100%.
- Documents must be uploaded as a single pdf and with the title formatted as: PIlastPIfirst2019AreaX.
- Example: JonesBob2019AreaA.
- Proposal Narrative including the abstract (5-page limit) and References Cited (no page limit). When applicable, the one (1) page response to previous reviewer comments is included as the first page of this section.
- RGC Small Grant Program Budget (2-page limit).
- Budget Justification document (2-page limit).
- Curriculum Vitae document(s) for PI and co-PI(s) (2-page limit per CV).
- Current and Pending document(s) for PI and co-PI(s) (no page limit).
The Cayuse website includes links to “Getting Started with Cayuse” and “Cayuse FAQs.” Answers to fields specific to the Small Grant Program are:
Sponsor: ORED Internal Funding
Prime Funding Agency: leave blank
Proposal Type: New
Instrument Type: Internal UA Funding
How will this be submitted: leave blank
Budget: The total amount requested is all that is required in the Cayuse system. To enter the total amount of your proposed budget, uncheck the Use calculated values box to the left of TOTAL SPONSORED PROPOSED COSTS. Once complete, you will be able to manually enter the budget amount. You will need to answer the other required budget related questions in this section. Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).
Click here to access the Cayuse site and submit your proposal.